Saturday, May 3, 2008

I lied.....

We got up early this morning and went to eat breakfast. Even though the day was overcast and gloomy, I couldn't resist the pull of going to Lowe's and buying the rest of the top soil we needed. It killed me to leave the project we started last weekend unfinished. When we had the retaining wall built in March there was a large space between the existing landscaping and the wall. It had been impossible to plant anything there before due to the slope but in order to plant anything now, we had to fill in a ton of top soil due to the pitch.

Last weekend we started the filling but Sam quickly lost interest and we didn't finish. I planted two of the four plants we bought and put in 20 bags of top soil but it was still pitiful looking. Today we went and bought 40 more bags of soil and we finished it off. It looks a lot better and I am happy it is completed. Now we have to figure out how to cover it to keep the dirt from turning to mud everytime it rains or getting all dried up in the summer.

It is a neverending project and I am seriously wondering when I will ever consider it done. It looks so much better but I see so much more to do. Yes, I have issues. My lazy weekend has now turned into nursing a sore back and adding a nap into the schedule.

6 comments:

Jesse said...

I think you should take some pics!

Just think of the great workout you'll both get from all of this yard work :)

Reticent Writer said...

You know, I love seeing those kinds of posts showing the work but I thought others might not. So I didn't do the progression pics but I guess if I'm going to bore you with the details, I should show the work, huh? Thanks for your comment. I'm going to go out and take some pics of the "final" product and see if I can find some before pics. Stay tuned ; )

Jesse said...

totally love before and after shots, but after shots work too :)

Doesn't it feel awesome to accomplish something in the yard? I got our veggies into the garden this morning and it's my very first vegetable garden. I hope I did it right! LOL

Reticent Writer said...

Hope your veggies are coming in good. It was smart to grow your own considering the crazy prices for produce now.

Jesse said...

:( Most of the veggies didn't survive the cold nights we had. I'm going to pick up some seedlings to drop into the garden this weekend so that I can hopefully grow something!

Reticent Writer said...

Ah crud. I hate when you spend money on the plants/seeds and go to all the effort of planting them and then they don't take. Hope this batch grows good!!